Thursday, December 8, 2011

Mistakes Teach the Best Lessons If We Listen.

Historic-wtf-43_large
  This post is about my sewing projects and what I've learned from them. As of today, I have done ten and technically only three are wearable. In reality only the skirt is wearable since the beret is off and the dress has serious design and comfort flaws. This sewing situation really really stinks because the fabrics were so beautiful and it's heartbreaking to see them go from wonderful ideas in the making to useless scrap. So, what have I learned?
    When I was younger, I used to watch Jay the Jet Plane. In that show there was this little tow truck and she would always say, " I   N-N-N-Never Give Up." In order to be great at anything you have to that same attitude. Every failed project taught me something:  take your time, focus on details, late-night-sewing is a don't go there, don't get cocky and try to cut something without pins, pattern or chalk, chiffon is not the fabric for beginners unless you have a box of tissues and aspirin handy at all times, and most important and painfully learned, after two months of sewing you are still a beginner beginner. Part of being a beginner is failing and making many many mistakes. Every mishap has taught me a lesson that's helped me on the next project."Every adversity, every failure, every heartache carries with it the seed on an equal or greater benefit. " said Napoleon Hill
   I also discovered just how powerful inspiration is. That moment of inspiration can give one the enthusiasm to keep going despite all the logic in the head to quit. When I had successfully  hemmed and taken in a pair of pants to then burn a ghastly hole in them with an iron and mess up a shirt I was working on... all in one day, I was ready to throw in the towel. But, later that day a friend and I went to a store and rediscovered my drive to design and sew, and some. I knew I could do better than the stuff they had and there was a gap in fashion that I could fill with my ideas."Success consists of going from failure to failure without loss of enthusiasm. " -Winston Churchill
  Finally, I now don't believe that every store is evil and charges high prices because they can. The dress I made with the design and comfort flaws would still have to sell for fifty dollars. That would only cover the price of the fabric, lace collar, zipper, thread and  minimum wage for every hour spent on it. Stores must cover the price of the clothes, salaries of their employees , the decor of the store, advertising and the price of the merchandise that is shoplifted. Even if a piece of clothing isn't high-quality it still may be "worth" a pretty penny, like my dress. This information doesn't really help anyone much, but, it does help me feel less bitter when shopping.
    To Conclude: a song from the album by Kings of Convenience that I always listen to when I sew,( Quiet is The New Loud.) This song is perfect for this post: the title (Failure) and the lyrics. Much thanks for reading. Many many hugs and warm feelings.:)
Failure by Kings of Convenience on Grooveshark

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for posting this. It is inspiring you never give up, both in DIY and in life!!!

    http://rosesandvellum.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete

Thank you super much for reading this post and commenting. I love reading comments and blogs. Many hugs.:)